www.Gmail.com sign up
Gmail is everywhere; you will find millions of Gmail accounts all over the world. And the reason for it is quite simple, it is one of the best email services available today. It is faster and more convenient than most of the other service providers. And with a Gmail account, you get access to a lot of other things as well, such as YouTube, Google Maps, Google Plus, Picasa and many more. The tagline ‘one Google account for everything Google’ is absolutely fitting in this case.
Prerequisite before logging in to Gmail
It goes without saying that Gmail is one of the most used platforms of mails worldwide. The main reason behind this is because of the great capacity it has in terms of storage space for messages and files.
Another important aspect of Gmail.com is fighting SPAM. If you have an account at Google you know it is very effective, especially when compared with complimentary email service providers like Yahoo, Hotmail and others. It can be said that Gmail prevents the reception of up to 90% of spam in your inbox.
How to login to Gmail?
There are many ways to log in to Gmail. You can do so from your computer as well as mobile. Logging in from a computer opens up the desktop site while logging in from a phone opens the mobile site.
Logging in to Gmail from a computer
Accessing your Gmail inbox after creating an account is quite simple.
- Type gmail.com in the address bar of your browser. You may also type mail.google.com in the address bar. These may direct you to the Google homepage, which has a ‘Sign in’ link at the top right corner.
Alternatively, you can also type account.google.com to directly access the accounts homepage.
- Once you reach the homepage for google accounts, you will see a window in the center that has a tab which says ‘Enter you email’. Type your Gmail id here.
- Click on the ‘Next’ button below this tab. When you do so, Gmail checks if the email entered is valid. If in case you have made a mistake in your email id, Google will show you the message ‘Sorry, Google doesn’t recognize that email’. This is feature is meant to make logging in more convenient; if in case there is an error, you know its exact origin.
- Once you have provided the correct email, the window will display a second tab. You have to enter your password in this space. If there is any error in the password, Google will display the message ‘The email and password you entered don't match’.
- There is a small checkbox at the bottom of this window which says ‘Stay signed in’. This is for your convenience when you log in the next time. If in case you are logging in from a share computer, it is best to take additional precautionary measures or uncheck the box altogether.
- Once all of the above steps are done, click on the ‘Sign in’ button. You will be directed to your Gmail inbox’.
Logging in to Gmail from a mobile
The procedure to log in to Gmail through a mobile phone is pretty much the same as is via a computer.
- Open the Google accounts homepage by typing gmail.com in your mobile internet browser. You may also use the options mentioned in the first point of the above section.
- Type your email address the in the window that appears. It will have only one tab where you may enter this information. Click on ‘Next’. If there is no error in the email that you type, you find that an additional tab will open.
- You will need to enter your password in this tab. Once you enter the correct password for your account, you will be able to access your mail inbox.
What to do if I forget my Gmail password?
Google offers many recovery methods if in case you forget your password. The login page has a link at its bottom right corner which says ‘forgot password’. This link appears once the password tab opens up. Alternatively, you can click the ‘Need help?’ link on the homepage. You can select the ‘I don’t know my password’ from the window that opens next.
- The first thing that Gmail asks you is if you remember any password that you may have used for the account in question. If you can remember any previous passwords, enter then in the tab. They can help recover your current password.
- The next option that Google offers you is sending across your password to your registered mobile number. You may have the password sent through a text message. Or if you would prefer an automated phone call, Google has that option as well.
- If in case you do not have your phone handy, or if it is not functional for any reason, you need not worry. Google can also send you your password on a secondary email that you may have registered with Gmail while creating your account. Google sends an email to this secondary address with details about resetting your password. You will have to access this accessory email account and follow the instructions.
- If in case you cannot access your alternate email, you can still reset your Gmail password. You will need to answer a few questions about your account. These may include your name, date of birth, etc. You may also be other details such as a security question that you had answered then. These details have to match those with your account, failing which you will not be able to access your Gmail account.
As it is seen, the options for recovery are plentiful. It is quite unlikely that you will find neither of them suitable to reset your password. The key is the register a functional mobile number and secondary email. If in case you have changed your phone number or email, make sure to update that on your Gmail account. This way, you can recover your password easily and you need not lose any saved data.
What to do if I forget my Gmail username?
It is expected that people would forget the passwords for their accounts. But it is not as uncommon as one would think to forget one’s username. Gmail acknowledges this fact and has thus made provisions for such cases.
When you open the google accounts homepage, you will see ‘Need help?’ link at the bottom right corner of the window where you need to enter your login id. This link will help you retrieve your username.
- Click on the above mentioned link.
- Select ‘I don’t know my username’ from among the options given there. (This should be the second option in the list of three)
- You will be directed to a new page where you will be asked to enter your recovery email id or mobile number, along with your first and last name. Your name has to be entered in both of the above mentioned cases. You need to make sure that the details that your enter match the details that you had provided while creating your account; the smallest errors will compel Gmail to withhold the information that is requested.
- Finally, you will need to enter a re-captcha phrase that is provided on the screen. If in case you cannot read the phrase that is shown, you can refresh it. Thus, google knows that an automated program isn’t retrieving the said information.
By following the above steps, you can have your username sent to your mobile number in the form of a text message, or you may choose your secondary email id.
What if I am having other problems logging in to Gmail?
It is quite infrequent to have problems logging in to Gmail when you know both your username as well as password. But this is a possibility and if this happens, Google can still help you retrieve your account.
In this case, you should go to the same ‘Need help?’ link which present on the homepage of the accounts login page. You can select ‘I’m having other problems logging in’ option the page that opens. Once you select this option, you will be asked to enter your Google email id, or any other email that you associate with your Google account. Once you do this, Google will investigate the problem. Follow the instructions after that and you should be able to access your account and then login.
The instructions for logging in to Gmail extremely user friendly. You will almost never have any problems opening your inbox. Google mail is fast, easy and convenient, and settling any login issues is just as quick, simple and straightforward as well.
If in case you should need any additional help, you can refer to the Help section of Google. You can find all information about Google accounts, their verification as well as recovery options. You may also troubleshoot problems with this tutorial and change any of your account settings. But as mentioned before, it will rarely come to that in the case of Gmail.